When you've been in an accident and hurt due to no fault of your own, a lot of questions can arise. You may be a little shaken at first, and that's completely normal. However, what you do immediately following an accident can have ramifications down the line when you're trying to receive compensation. Below, our Hagerstown personal injury lawyer discusses what to do first following an injury due to someone else's negligence.
8 Steps to Take Following an Injury Due to No Fault of Your Own
There are several key steps to take when you have suffered a personal injury in an accident that will increase your likelihood of receiving compensation for your damages. Following an accident, our Hagerstown personal injury lawyer recommends that you should:
- Take photographs of the scene and of the vehicles involved as well as any injuries sustained.
- Get a copy of the accident report.
- Be careful what you say to police and any other parties involved in the accident; statements you make can be misinterpreted and lead to difficulty in obtaining damages later.
- Contact our office right away. Don’t get involved in discussions with any insurance adjusters before consulting an experienced Hagerstown personal injury lawyer. This will help you avoid mistakes that may harm your claim in the future. This is especially true if you are taking medications for injuries.
- Bring in as much medical information as you can when you come in to meet us.
- Bring insurance information for the person who caused the accident and each of your insurance policies.
- Follow doctor’s orders; follow through on medical treatment even if you think you are feeling better. If you don’t think your treatment is working, tell your doctor.
- Create a diary to record the significant events in your treatment and recovery.
Schedule a Free Case Review With Our Hagerstown Personal Injury Lawyer
Now that you've documented everything you can to help your case, the next, most important step is to hire a skilled and experienced Hagerstown personal injury lawyer to represent you. Our team has years of experience helping accident victims just like you, and we're here to help lighten the burden for you.
Contact our office online or call (301) 790-3600 to start your free, no-cost case review with our Hagerstown personal injury lawyer.