Frederick Auto Accident Attorney for Inaccurate Police ReportIt may be shocking to find out that many people that are involved in a car accident receive an inaccurate police report. If this happens to you, you need to know what to do next.

What to Do if You Find Yourself With an Inaccurate Police Report After a Car Accident

This can be vital. Review the report carefully and make sure the officer got all of the information that he or she needs in order to form an opinion. If not, and you are representing yourself, send this information on to the officer, along with any photographs and witness statements that support you. Some officers will even take the time to meet with you. Do not delay, as modern-day police officers get high volumes of work and often will forget your case quickly as time moves on. Still, once an inaccurate police report is put in final form, it can cause a lot of trouble.

Why You Should Hire an Experienced Frederick Auto Accident Attorney

If you choose to hire a Frederick auto accident attorney to represent you, you have to tell the attorney or his staff quickly when you see errors in the police report and attach a memorandum explaining why you think the opinion is inaccurate. Again, include photographs and witness statements. Your Frederick auto accident attorney or their staff should promptly follow up with you and then intervene on your behalf with the police officer.

If the case is serious enough, the auto accident attorney will involve the services of an accident reconstructionist or similar expert. Again, the information that you know needs to be given to that expert before he or she prepares her report. Often we will get the expert to then talk directly to the police officer. Again, this needs to be done at an early stage of the case.

Finally, if charges have been filed, you should speak with the prosecutor’s office and give an explanation as to what you think is in error. Again, if you have a Frederick auto accident attorney, let the lawyer do that.

Contact Our Office Today!

If you've been in a car accident and have an inaccurate police report on your hands, contact our office online or call (301) 790-3600 to schedule a free consultation with our Frederick auto accident attorney today!