The quick answer is “yes”. This is one reason why, if you’ve been hurt due to someone else’s fault and you have significant injuries, you really need to get in and see a competent trial lawyer immediately. If you have a small claim, that’s a different matter and we give tips on how to handle those elsewhere on this website.


If you do have large bills, however, a competent trial lawyer can help you in several ways. First, he or she can help you with a PIP (personal injury protection) claim.  A PIP claim is against your own insurance policy and will provide quick money for payment of some of your medical bills or lost wages. The good news is, as well, that you don’t have to reimburse your insurer for the money received.


Second, your lawyer should explore whether or not a workers compensation claim applies. 


Third, your lawyer can often work with the healthcare providers to withhold any type of collection action against you until a recovery is made by the attorney for you against the person who caused the injury. If you have health insurance, you should use it to pay your medical bills in the meantime and then your attorney can work with the insurer to settle any claim the insurer wants to make once you have received payment for your injuries. You should also ask your attorney to help with the settlement of any other medical or health care liens that might be asserted including, for instance, those with Medicare and Medicaid. They can usually be settled once you have funds, and many can be settled at a reduced rate. Again, your attorney should handle these services as part of your representation.