Answers to Your Most Common Questions About Personal Injury and Other Legal Issues

It’s natural to have many questions when facing any type of legal case, especially those related to accidents and personal injury. It can be difficult to know where to find the relevant, reliable answers to those questions. The lawyers at The Poole Law Group offer their thoughts on many of the most common questions to help you learn more about your rights and ensure that you achieve the best legal result possible.

  • Page 1
  • Should I talk to others about my criminal case?

    Absolutely not. The State can call anyone you talk to as a witness to testify against you at trial. While the person may be your friend or relative, your conversations about your criminal case can be used against you.

  • If I want The Poole Law Group to represent me, how do I retain the firm?

    In most criminal cases, we charge a flat fee which is paid up front, prior to entering into the representation. The amount of the fee is determined on an individual case basis, considering the type of matter (felony or misdemeanor), the time and work required and the resources necessary to effectively represent you. We offer a variety of options for payment, which we can discuss at the time of your consultation.

  • I was stopped for DUI/DWI and the police took my driver’s license. What happens now?

    In most cases, the police will issue a temporary license, good for 45 days, pending a notice of suspension from the MVA. On the back of your temporary license, there is a form which can be submitted to request a hearing on the proposed suspension of your driver’s license. To request an appeal, you must send in the form with the appeal fee within the time indicated, otherwise you risk having your license and driving privileges suspended.

    We can help you request the appeal as well prepare and represent you at the hearing to protect your driving privileges.

  • I have been issued traffic citations, some of which indicate payable fines. Should I pay them?

    Not until you have spoken with an attorney to determine your rights and obligations. While there is often a benefit to paying the fine and eliminating the citation, there may be other consequences which affect the non-payable citations.

    We can help you determine whether paying the fines ahead of time is in your best interests.

  • I have been arrested, but the State has not charged me with a crime yet. What should I do?

    You should think about speaking with an attorney. Often times, an attorney can establish a dialogue with the prosecutor early in the process and convince them not to file some or all of the choices. Once charges have been filed, your position will change and it becomes more difficult to get them dismissed.

    The attorneys at The Poole Law Group have the knowledge and experience to communicate directly with prosecutor on your behalf and negotiate a favorable outcome.

  • The police have asked if they can search me (or my car or house). Should I let them?

    If the police are asking, you should refuse. Consenting to a search may allow the police to find something they can use against you later. If you refuse and they search anyway, your attorney may be able to challenge the use of any evidence obtained through the improper search.

    People often feel the urge to comply with the police, or think that they cannot say “no”. If the police are asking, you should politely refuse.

  • What should I do if the police come to arrest me?

    Do not physically resist them. Be polite and provide your identifying information. Do not talk about your case, despite what the police may tell you. Ask to speak with your attorney.